Feed on

I’m writing this at just after 4 o’clock on our second sea day in succession. The first, yesterday, was of course impromptu – we should have been in Reykjavik but were unable to dock because of high winds. (Incidentally, we heard from a couple of other passengers who overheard a crew conversation suggesting that the problem at Reykjavik was as likely to be difficulties getting back out of port in the late evening – we were scheduled to stay until 9:30 or so – as actually getting in.) Today was always going to be a sea day as we undertook the passage from Iceland to the Faroe Islands.

Once we’d got over the disappointment, yesterday was actually quite interesting. The on-board team pulled out all the stops to provide service during the day – waiters, waitresses and shop staff were dragged from their beds and put to work, and a programme of events was hastily assembled for the various venues. We spent a couple of hours in the theatre. First we listened to the members of the Headliners company describing their backgrounds and how they got into entertainment, the competition for jobs and the audition process for the company, and many practical aspects of their work. What was clear was that none of them just “got lucky” – they all knew that dancing and/or singing was what they wanted to do from a very young age, and they had all worked very hard for many years to gain the skills, qualifications and experience required to even get them into the competition. We also picked one or two interesting pieces of factual information – for example, that the ‘fly tower’, the area above the stage where scenery is held suspended and moved around, extends up to deck 10.

After that we stayed in our seats and listed to another of Priscilla Morris’ talks on well-known literary figures. Yesterday’s impromptu talk was on Shakespeare, mainly a brief overview of his life and the Elizabethan theatre, and was the first time the speaker had ever delivered that talk.

But the best part of yesterday – and the most frustrating – was that the weather was actually gorgeous for most of the day. Late in the afternoon we sat out on our balcony for an hour and I found it necessary to apply the sun cream. Then after dinner we ended up in the Planet bar and watched the most amazing sunset – yes, we were just far enough south for the sun to actually disappear below the horizon, and for the first time for a number of days it very nearly got dark. I hope to be able to post some pictures later.

If yesterday was unexpectedly good, today seems to have been less enjoyable. It’s been colder, for one thing – 30 knot winds – and often cloudy. The sea has been rougher and Azura is moving around a bit. I think a lot of people are feeling a bit stir-crazy, and everyone is secretly worrying about the call at Torshavn tomorrow. It’s a docking port, not a tender port so the call ought to be certain, but then so was Reykjavik. We’ll know early tomorrow morning.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: