Comments

The pictures above show the cabin we had. It’s a ‘Balcony with Shower and Sofa’ (category GB). As a cabin we preferred it slightly to the equivalent cabins on Ventura / Azura – we thought the small sofa was a definite plus. That balcony, however, is a different matter….

In an earlier post I said I’d put up images showing a comparison of the Britannia balcony with a C deck balcony on Ventura/Azura. Here it is. Remember, the actual cabins behind these two balconies are very similar – standard balcony cabin on Ventura, Balcony cabin with shower & sofa on Britannia – it’s just the balconies that differ. Also remember, all cabins on the port & starboard sides of Britannia have the same size balcony, from the most basic balcony cabin (Balcony cabin with shower and no sofa) to a suite.

10 Responses to “Britannia 2016 – cabin F219”

1. Mike says:

That’s not a balcony, it’s a perch .. no got that wrong, it’s a joke. We had booked to go on Britannia but during a pre-visit, viewed our cabin and thought, no way and cancelled. We spend quite a lot of our time on the balcony and this amongst other things was a complete put off.
    Mike

• Tom Burke says:

It’s not great, Mike.

It was ok in the context of a fjords cruise – ashore a lot of the time, but long light evenings to enjoy – but I wouldn’t fancy it for a Med cruise.

2. Jacqui says:

Bit naughty to show a C deck balcony though.

• Tom Burke says:

Yes! But it’s pretty well known that’s what we like, and it’s a valid comparison, I think – that C deck balcony is a normal balcony cabin, pricewise, as is the Britannia balcony cabin shown. (Indeed, it’s not the cheapest balcony cabin available – you can get a Balcony cabin without a sofa that’s a bit smaller and a bit cheaper. Same size balcony, though.)

3. Dennis May says:

We started cruising 2015 and have had 5 up to now.Our first cruise was on Britannia what a lovely ship it was. The balcony was OK as we hadn’t cruised before. We have since been on Azura once and my favorite Ventura (three times) which we have always had C deck as the balconies are very big.I would love to go back on Britannia but would never because of the tiny balcony.As you stated OK for the fjords.We ave booked for July and yes again on the Ventura. Thanks for Tom’s Blog as you gave a lot of info on my second cruise.

• Tom Burke says:

Thanks for the comment, Dennis. It’s good to hear that you’ve enjoyed your cruises, and I’m pleased that my little blog was helpful.

4. MArgsret Kaiser says:

Think your observations are so helpful re: Britannia, I am due to go on the 28 May and if I had found your informative site before booking would have decided on another ship, there are lot of good ships, Oriana, Ventura and even the old Artremis, I enjoyed them all! I am an optimist so will ignore the “window box” balcony and will enjoy all the entertainment, good food and lovely new friends I will meet . Are you Travel Agent I will certainly book with you?

• Tom Burke says:

Thanks for the comment, Margaret.

No I’m not a travel agent or active in the industry at all! I have no commercial connection with the cruise lines or other industry entities at all, other than as a normal, fare-paying passenger.

5. Marie says:

I have never cruised before, so thank you very much for your reviews – they are hugely helpful.
    I want to do the Fjords cruise in April – I see you took a GB cabin and I am looking at a GE cabin which is a little cheaper.
    But I have no clue as to the difference!
    I can see the different positioning (GE is further forward). What should I be looking out for?
    And are the views definitely unobstructed on that deck? I realise the balcony is small but is it comfortable to sit and watch the views, or is it better to go into say a bar, to watch?
    Marie

• Tom Burke says:

Marie

Apologies for the delay in replying – I’ve been having a rest!

Cabin differences – yes, P&O (and some other lines) regard cabin position as a differentiator for price, and to achieve this they grade them differently. The argument is that mid-ships cabins are likely to be more stable, especially when the ship starts pitching (going up and down fore & aft) – i.e., the cabins at the from and the stern will be moving through a larger arc, and might therefore be more uncomfortable, than a cabin amidships. I’m not so sure. OK, I can see that there will be a difference between a cabin at the very front (or back) and the absolute mid-ships cabin. But between, say, G216 and G218 on Britannia? – any difference will be undetectable. But having decided to make that price differentiation, P&O then have to decide a location as to where it will apply, and between those two cabins is where (on that deck).

Views – yes, the views were unobstructed, at least outwards – the lifeboats (which sit half-way out of the ship down on deck 7) obstruct the view directly downwards a bit. Also, note that cabins forward of G110 (port side) and G109 (starboard) have steel-fronted balconies, not glass. This is for safety – in very bad weather, seas could reach that high and the steel frontages offer greater protection. Not that you’d be out on the balcony if the weather was that bad…. But it does mean that you don’t have a waist/chest-high balcony frontage isn’t transparent on the case of those cabins – it’s solid.